Advertisement

Wasque: A Transformation in Time

Wasque: A Transformation in Time When I first visited Martha's Vineyard it was in 1993. Wasque was one of the first places I went to fish and as I didn't have 4x4 at the time, I walked down with my tackle. It was a long walk back then ...maybe two football fields in length from the stairs to the water. I have been going there every year since and slowly watched as this area of land has twisted and transformed over the last almost 30 years.

In 1999 I did an a video overlay (shown at the end of this video) to document the changes I had witnessed just in those 6 years not knowing then how much more changes were in store for the area up to and including the eventual breech at Norton point and how it traversed down to Wasque point. In retrospect, I wish I had done more documentation of my own.

The video I had from 2012 (also at the end) shows the Wasque bluff at its most precarious point though this documented cycle of sand movement which seemed to start to rebuild a bit after that year though the bluff will never be the same.

The Google Earth Satellite imagery has a huge time lapse between 1995 and 2003 and I wish was they had more snapshots for that time frame.

At some point while learning about Google Earth, I thought it would be a cool thing to check out all these changes using the history feature. I went through and screen shoted all these different dates and did a little work in Photoshop and Premiere to put this little piece of history in one place.

Wasque,Martha's Vineyard,Chappy,Cape Poge,Martha's Vineyard Striped Bass & Bluefish Derby,The Trustees of Reservations,ASA Photographic,

Post a Comment

0 Comments